The Downtown Economic Development District is a quasi-governmental organization whose purpose is to creatively plan, manage and develop Downtown Monroe as the unique, diverse, vibrant and economically healthy core of the city. Monroe DEDD strives to provide a clean, safe and vibrant downtown environment for workers, residents and visitors. Areas of focus include Economic Development, Business Recruitment, Business Retention, Marketing, and Historic Preservation.
Dr. Anthony Nelson
Vision: To establish downtown Monroe as a destination to live, work, and play.
Mission: Create attractive physical and economic conditions in downtown Monroe.
- Led efforts to build Downtown RiverMarket
- Worked on Louisville enhancement project
In Partnership with DMA
- Orchestrated placement of signage on I-20 directing people to the downtown area
- Established Art Alley to assist in marketing the art galleries
- Planned and executed the addition of brick planters to beautify Art Alley
- DEDD hosted luncheon to give update on progress and plans for downtown.
- Working on completing pedestrian crossing on Art Alley
- Working with city on DeSiard Street Enhancement Grant for sidewalks and lighting.
- Working to build Riverwalk in Downtown Monroe.
There are tax incentives available for downtown development. For more information contact Myra Gatling-Akers: >email@example.com